Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Up the hill over the dale to Grandma's house we go.

Ahhhh Wednesday night is run night. My 6k route - The Church run backwards, so rather than deal with the incline of Blake Street & Puget I choose to go up Owen, Worsely, Theresa, Amelia & Napier. It's not until about the 3k mark that the incline becomes the decline. I say Napier is flat only because I can see the lights by Puget from Duckworth, but it's a slight incline on Napier... Not sure why I thought it was easier that way, but hey why argue with yourself. Right? I managed to get 3/4 of the way up Theresa this time. It was more the fact I was having difficulty breathing than leg pain. That came when I got to the top of the hill. My soleus ached for a moment - around the 1.78k mark then it was that STUPID calf muscle again. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not hydrating enough or what. I'll have to make a note of how much I'm drinking in the day. I know today I didn't drink more than one cup of water. I'll have to work on that. We'll see if that helps on Saturday during the Harry Rosen Spring Runoff - 8k. Running down Puget to Blake went really well. My goal was to just run the 6 k with no breaks ( after Theresa St break) as I didn't think I would be able to manage running under 36min. I check my watch at the 3.06 mark and I was at 19 minutes. So I aimed to just go no stopping. I checked my pace a couple of times and it ranged from 5:50 to 5:30. As I was on Blake I negotiated with myself by the Nelson street stairs that when I hit the lights by codrington I could think about slowing down. Then at that point I'm about 1k away ... what's the sense in slowing down then right? It's only one more klick. Don't worry about it. I clocked in at 35:37 for 6.01 km My goal is to do the 8k in High Park in 44 min. Last year was 46:xx. The issue is the hill around 3 k and then the big one at the 7. k mark. it takes you right up to the finish line. I need to come up with a strategy. It's hard to start a run part way up a hill, but I just may have to do it. The 3K hill ... I can speed walk that I think. I just have to make the most of the "flat" areas and the down hills. Sounds like a strategy to me. Tomorrow is the bike and pool. Theo says just spinning since I'm running Saturday, no cadence etc. phew. The pool though - I'm good with distance. I seem to be coming along very well now that I'm improving my technique. Lots more to improve on it, but one swim at a time right? p.s. did I mention I love my running tights ... CW-X are the greatest. I love love love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment